Home News Gridlock as fire guts Ogun mass transit bus on Otedola Bridge

Gridlock as fire guts Ogun mass transit bus on Otedola Bridge

by easyclick
Spread the love

Tragedy was averted on Monday when a mass transit bus owned by the Ogun State Government burst into flames on the Otedola Bridge along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

The fire, which started around 11am, was said to have resulted from a spark from the bus.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the bus coming from the Mowe area of Ogun State was heading towards the Toll Gate area of Lagos State before the incident occurred.

However, no life was lost as the passengers scrambled out through the doors and windows of the bus.

Some petrol attendants at a nearby filling station, who had seen fire coming out of the bus, told our correspondent that they tried to stop the driver so that they could use their fire extinguishers to quench the fire, but the driver, who was reportedly on high speed, did not stop.

The situation caused a gridlock that extended to the Kara end of the expressway.

However, the fire was put out around 11.30am by the Lagos State Fire Service and other first responders, including the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Lagos State Traffic Management Authority and the Federal Road Safety Corps.

Confirming the incident, the Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasaki Musibau, said two fire stations responded to the incident.

“The bus was going to the toll gate area when it caught fire and when we were alerted, two fire stations responded to it. There was no casualty. The Ilupeju and Alausa fire stations responded to the incident. The fire might have been caused by a mechanical fault,” he said.

Similarly, fire gutted the security post of a five-bedroom duplex in the Magodo area of Lagos on Monday.

Although no life was lost, our correspondent learnt that the security guard was injured and had been taken to an undisclosed hospital.

Confirming the incident, Musibau noted that the cause of the inferno could not be ascertained until an investigation is carried out.

“A five-bedroom duplex was affected by the fire, but it was confined to the security post and the Alausa Fire Station responded to it. We can’t ascertain the cause until a full investigation is carried out,” he stated.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Powered by Live Score & Live Score App